Thursday, October 7, 2010

Being there lives


Photo by Fastie Murphree

“Jump and the net will appear.” – Joseph Campbell

Forgive the abrupt note of departure included at the end of my column titled "PO'd" (Sept. 24), where I wrote two sentences announcing the finality of "Being there." A series of letters asking for an explanation made me realize how very “un-being there” that cryptic note was as a close to what’s been a two- and-a-half year intimate relationship.
Deciding to leave my position as lifestyle writer for The Garden Island newspaper was not an easy one. And it’s not one easily explained. Suffice it to say, one must never underestimate the power of a fortune cookie.
It was over 10 years ago I received the fortune: “Discontent is the first step in the progress of a woman or a nation.”
I fastened that little rectangle of white paper with red ink into the drawer of my home office desk – the same desk at which my mother wrote in her journal for 30 years.
Since receiving it, I've allowed discontent to inform rather than intimidate me. It’s like a favorite tee-shirt that suddenly has an invisible burr chaffing the soft skin under your arm; no amount of searching the fabric will reveal where the irritation is hidden.
I came to the office a few Mondays ago knowing I had to “take off the shirt.” I returned home that night to tell my husband I’d quit my job.
Since launching “Being there” in June 2009, you’ve gotten to know me and my family, so as my parting column for The Garden Island, I wrote the following update that the editor chose not to print. For readers interested in past columns here is a link: http://thegardenisland.com/lifestyles/being-there/
It’s been six weeks since my Brazilian mother-in-law moved in with us. It’s going smooth so far and I’ve even learned a few dirty phrases in Portuguese. Boy are Latin insults more descriptive than English; and funnier too.
Remember the feral kittens I trapped at the ceramic studio a few months ago? Well my husband agreed we could adopt all three. Chico, Pablo and Mittens are affectionate juveniles now sharing my dogs’ bed with them. No joke. Lady Bird and Flip (who you’ll recall were adopted from the Kauai Humane Society two years ago) are now foster parents.
Of all the people in my life though, you’ve gotten to know my mom the best. She is not doing well so may I humbly request you stop reading now, bow your head, and send Caroline Woolway the strong pulse of your love. A friend told me that when we think, “I love you” and send it to someone far away, they receive it instantly. So right now, I am bowing my head and sending each of you one big “I love you.”
I hope you felt it.
I can't quite believe I've succumb to blogging. I've often referred to it as "blah blah blahging." I swear on the Bible, (oh yeah, I’m not a Christian, but you already knew that) not to print any first drafts. I can’t promise I won’t tell you a dirty joke though or even translate a few naughty Brazilian phrases.
Again, thanks for following me here and thank you for urging me to continue "Being there."
I would like to send notices of new posts. Please let me know if you do not want to receive them. If you are not on my list and would like to receive notices, e-mail me at pamwoolway@gmail.com

1 comment:

Ellen said...

My Pam! How I miss you! My phone died and I need your phone number or email address. I hope you are doing well. Do you ship any of your pottery? Christmas is coming and I am thinking some pottery would make a most excellent gift.

I miss you very much!
Ellen

I saw that you have comment moderation on, so I'm leaving an email address: ellen.edmands@gmail.com

If you do approve this comment, please kindly remove my personal email address.