Friday, November 5, 2010

Shake the beer


Painting by Kapahi artist, John Howard

About two years ago my neighbor exposed himself to me – for the second time. The first time I was such an innocent. I seriously thought, “That poor guy is going to be so embarrassed when he realizes his pecker is hanging out of his boxer shorts.”
It was before 7 a.m. and I was returning from a walk with the dogs when this guy steps out from behind his truck saying, “Good morning.” I responded in kind and then realized the obvious. I assumed he’d just climbed out of bed to retrieve something from his truck and was caught unaware of his predicament (pun intended).
I completely dismissed the incident, believing he’d die of shame when he realized he’d just exposed himself to a neighbor.
Nothing creepy was said. It was a gorgeous morning; not like I was in some urban back alley greeted by a freak in a trench coat. This was in a residential area on Kapahi Road just a few houses before the trailhead leading down to Hopi'i Falls.
In my nearly 50 years on the planet somehow I’ve escaped the sordid encounters most my girlfriends have endured in their teens and 20s. When friends have shared this sort of thing with me in the past, I’d scold them saying, “Don’t avert your eyes and empower that pervert, point at his pecker and say, ‘That’s nothing to brag about.’ Humiliate the bastard.”
I was completely on the moon. When faced with a stranger revealing himself, the shock sucks the wind right out of your words. A simple flashing is one thing, but when there’s some vigorous activity (yah, picture it), it’s a different story.
The afternoon my neighbor stood beating off in his garage in broad daylight, I looked, then looked again, and then walked faster. I returned home to tell my husband who couldn’t help but laugh.
“Are you sure he wasn’t just shaking his beer,” he teased.
I had to laugh as I gesticulated for Wes exactly what I’d seen.
“Call the police,” he said.
I did. A complaint was filed and the cop went to the pervert’s house.
Nothing came of it. The cop told me without two witnesses he couldn’t make an arrest.
Since then I’ve changed my walking route.
He won.
I did consider writing a letter to leave on every door in my neighborhood describing the scene and the location of the house, but never had the nerve.
So why write about it now?
I want to know how to respond in the moment in a way that reclaims my power. A similar incident happened recently and once again I was paralyzed into silence. How does a woman deal with a situation like this?

10 comments:

Pamela Brown said...

Hopefully there won't be a next time, but if there is, I would suggest laughing at him and his thing. That would probably cause him to put it away.

Your stories are wonderful, Pam. Keep 'em coming!

-- Pam Brown

Lizkauai said...

Sexual offenders are a menace. Go to the YWCA and ask for assistance.

Paradise said...

Funny you should mention that...
Last night my daughter came home with a similar bizzare tale..
She was on the job at an animal hospital when a gentleman came in with a cat that had been hit by a car. He was wearing baggy cargo zipper shorts and as he placed the injured cat on the operating table and stepped back my daughter couldn't help but notice his Floppy Flopperton making rabbit faces. Apparently Mr. Flopperton does not follow GQ's underwear fashion trends, and, with his zipper locked down somewhere South of Borneo I suspect he must be the first person on Kauai to take notice of the Tradewinds. I asked her if she thought he was aware of his condition and she replied in the negative. No one at the facility wished to alert Mr. F to the problem with his hutch.

Paradise said...

Funny you should mention that...
Last night my daughter came home with a similar bizzare tale..
She was on the job at an animal hospital when a gentleman came in with a cat that had been hit by a car. He was wearing baggy cargo zipper shorts and as he placed the injured cat on the operating table and stepped back my daughter couldn't help but notice his Floppy Flopperton making rabbit faces. Apparently Mr. Flopperton does not follow GQ's underwear fashion trends, and, with his zipper locked down somewhere South of Borneo I suspect he must be the first person on Kauai to take notice of the Tradewinds. I asked her if she thought he was aware of his condition and she replied in the negative. No one at the facility wished to alert Mr. F to the problem with his hutch.

shastin grace said...

Maybe next time say something like, 'please have a little respect.' And then quickly walk away...
I said that one time to a guy who was calling all girls sluts and whores in a drunken stupor outside of a bar after closing. He quickly got a hold of himself and apologized. And I was pleasantly surprised.

Belle Starr said...

Please lose the cute jokes about any guy exposing himself to women or girls. He's being sexually aggressive, he gets a sexual thrill from doing it - the woman who is exposed to this is a victim. Please educate yourselves about sex addiction. Laughing at him and mocking him plays into his obsession. Pam, please follow up on this. Is there a rape crisis center in your area? It is not uncommon for compulsive flashers to go on to more aggressive acts of sexual violation.

Ellen said...

Grab your camera. Videotape or photograph the incident. You become one witness and the digital photo/video fulfills the second requirement. I don't see how the cops can refuse further action with the act caught on film.

TracyInOregon said...

It seems like it is funny, but what if it had been a 13 year old girl, or a 8 yr old? Maybe he has already done that to a young girl. I think that seeing a flasher at that age could be scary and traumatic. Maybe find a gal-pal and continue your normal walking route and see if you can catch him with two witnesses? You don't have to say anything if you don't want to, let the cops deal with him then. Doing anything about it can be empowering. And you could be saving a little sister.

MiaMomma said...

Ditto to what Belle Starr said. His intent is to victimize and create a feeling a shame.
I had a guy do that when I used to rollerblade along the boardwalk early in the morning. It was my favorite time of the day I was angry that he polluted my serenity. Not forever, because fortunately he did it right before he moved.

Eleanor said...

good to hear from you again Pam,


Aloha,
Ellie