Thursday, May 31, 2007

An Open Book



The cat is a poem written in cursive
like a long sentence without punctuation.

Stripes on her face rhyme with the ones
around her waist. Nudge the ear with the end

of the pen, smear ink of exposed claws as they sink
into both sides of a hand. Cat gazes

middle distance with eyes like gallows,
reading bird song and shadow. Half dozen

finches pop like golden seeds on hot lawn;
dove’s bow and bob, shadows double

the orchard. Bunches of birds come and go, cat
stretches a ready arm across the stack of books by her head;

bides her time, levels ears, twitches and studies—
thump thumping an eleven syllable tail.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this haiku is great
it is perfectly written
april fools.

hey pam!
suzi gave me the url of this site and i was like, hey cool! my poetry got published in my schools art book thing (my teacher submitted without my knowledge) i'll send it to you when i get it.
-Conar

Pam Woolway said...

Please send it Conar. I'll post it here too! Yay, another poet in the family. Of course we always suspected. love pam